The Hazardous Waste Electronic Manifest, e-Manifest, is a national database for electronic cradle-to-grave tracking of all hazardous waste shipments intended to replace the current paper-based system.
The centralized and digital platform, operated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), records and tracks all hazardous waste manifest activities in the United States. Data from all RCRA hazardous waste shipments must be transferred to EPA’s e-Manifest National Database system. The database launched on June 30, 2018.
Please visit the tabs below including:
"Educational Webinars" for the latest webinar recordings from EPA and Tradebe.
"Resources" provides various links to the latest informaton on e-Manifest.
ARE YOU READY FOR E-MANIFEST?
Tradebe is interested in partnering with our generators and customers on this important change. If you have any questions or concerns, please email our e-Manifest Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARE YOU PLANNING ON USING ELECTRONIC MANIFESTS?
If your company is planning on creating manifests electronically, or as a hybrid where the transporter creates the electronic manifest, please contact us ASAP at email@example.com to coordinate with Tradebe facilities in order to avoid unnecessary delays. Also, loads must be scheduled as is usual - the use of e-Manifest does not eliminate this necessary step.
WHAT IS E-MANIFEST?
The Hazardous Waste Electronic Manifest, colloquially called e-Manifest, is a national database for electronic cradle-to-grave tracking of all hazardous waste shipments intended to replace the current paper-based system.
The centralized and digital platform, operated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), will record and track all hazardous waste manifest activities in the United States. Upon launching, data from all RCRA hazardous waste shipments must be transferred to EPA’s e-Manifest National Database system. The database is expected to go live June 30, 2018.
- Designed to modernize the EPA national tracking of hazardous waste shipments into a single hub while improving accuracy, processing and correction of hazardous waste manifests;
- Increase the effectiveness of compliance monitoring for Regulators while providing potential for RCRA biennial reporting integration and other federal/state systems;
- Not a mandatory program, although the incentives (fees) are established by the EPA with the intent to “end” paper copy shipments in three to five years;
- States that require Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQGs) to use a Hazardous Waste Manifest can also elect to ship on electronic manifest;
- Manifest information will be available to the public 90-Days after receipt at the Receiving Facility;
HOW AM I AFFECTED?
- To participate and view e-Manifest data, all Handlers (e.g., Generator, Transporter and Brokers) will need to register in the e-Manifest program. Tradebe will follow up with tools to assist customers in this registration process.
- All corrections to the e-manifest and paper manifest data must be done electronically. A Handler making the correction must certify and send an electronic notification to all Handlers identified on the manifest.
- To support e-Manifest operations, the EPA will impose a fee for every manifest, whether paper or electronic. This manifest fee is assessed to the receiving TSDF by EPA. The current draft fee schedule from EPA is below, however, the final fee schedule has not been published yet and Tradebe will incur, as of now unknown, additional costs to administer the e-manifest program for generators, such as hardware and software costs for compliant signatures. Tradebe will share our fee schedule associated with e-manifests, paper or electronic, once EPA further defines their final program.
EPA FEE SCHEDULE*:
Full Electronic: $ 5.00
Data file upload: 6.50
Image file upload: 10.00
Mailed paper forms: 15.00
* Subject to change by the EPA
WHAT IS TRADEBE DOING?
- Implementing the necessary technology and processes changes to support the new requirements;
- Focusing on managing the costs of the new e-Manifest program so as to minimize its effect on customers;
- In the upcoming months, working closely with customers and partners during the e-Manifest rollout;
- Planning to provide the following services to Customers:
- Monthly email updates on e-Manifest rollout and related changes;
- Webinar training for all interested customers for implementing the e-Manifest process as the go live date approaches;
- RCRAinfo account creation demonstration for customers in need of assistance; and
- Dedicated customer service representatives for questions and assistance during transition.
To minimize customer disruptions, Tradebe will implement changes in phases. During Phase I:
- Tradebe will continue to accept paper manifests for all shipments and submit the manifest in a data file upload to USEPA’s National Database;
- Tradebe will begin to submit manifest information to the EPA electronically on June 30, 2018 for manifests dated by the Generator on or after June 30, 2018; and
- Tradebe, as a transporter, initially will not equip drivers with electronic signing devices until after the required CROMERR signatures process is fully established by the EPA.
The EPA's New 5-part hazardous waste manifest forms are now available for ordering through the vendor of your choosing.
The New 5-part manifest form cannot be used until June 30, 2018.
The Current 6-part manifest form can be used until the Handlers (generator/transporter/Receiving Facility) inventory runs out.
For those clients who will continue to have Tradebe prepare their manifests - no action is required. However, if you prepare your own or wish to do so going forward, the following links to JJ Keller are provided as a resource:
ARE YOU READY FOR E-MANIFEST?
Tradebe is interested in partnering with our Generators and Customers on this important change and will be reaching out to establish the appropriate agreements to act as an e-Manifest agent for our Customers.
Please take our e-Manifest Survey now so that we may better understand and serve your needs regarding this new program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email our e-Manifest Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE EPA HAS MODIFIED THE CURRENT REGULATIONS REGARDING THE TRANSPORTER'S ABILITY TO CHANGE TRANSPORTER(S) FOR SHIPMENTS IN-TRANSIT. While designed to improve communication and awareness of Transporter activity, this modification to the regulations also provides the option to have a specific agreement between the generator and the initial transporter of waste to facilitate changes.
To comply and streamline your shipments with this new requirement, Tradebe is requesting customers' acceptance to provide Tradebe Transportation and all of its subsidiaries with explicit authority to continue to modify, add/or substitute transporters for the purpose of transportation efficiency, convenience, safety or response to an emergency.
TWO OPTIONS TO REVIEW/ACCEPT TRADEBE'S TRANSPORTATION AUTHORIZATION/CONTRACT:
Save the completed form that you receive via email as your copy of the agreement.
MORE DETAILS REGARDING EPA'S NEW TRANSPORTATION/AUTHORIZATION REQUIREMENT:
EPA is classifying the initial transporter’s authority that would allow them to change the transporter(s) designated on a manifest, or to add a new transporter to the manifest. A transporter may make these changes during the course of transportation of wastes; as a result to respond to an emergency, or for the purpose of transportation efficiency, convenience, or safety. The modification to the regulations mandates a specific agreement between the generator and the initial transporter of the waste making the changes.
EPA’s Transporter classifications are a:
- Transporter without agency authority; or
- Transporter with agency authority.
A Transporter without agency authority:
Is a transporter without contractual authorization in place from the generator, whereas to act as an agent on behalf of the generator. Therefore the transporter must contact the generator for permission prior to making any revisions or additions to the transporter section on the manifest.
A Transporter with agency authority:
Is a transporter with contractual authorization in place from the generator, to act as the generator’s agent.
For these transporters, EPA modified the regulations so that transporters (or brokers), who intend to oversee and control the routing of the shipments on behalf of the generator, must enter the following statement in Item 14 of the manifest:
‘‘Contract retained by generator confers agency authority on the initial transporter to add or substitute additional transporters on generator’s behalf.’’
It should be noted, states could pursue enforcement actions against generators for failure to produce the contract upon request as well as pursue enforcement actions against the transporters for failure to comply with adding the statement language in Item 14 of the manifest.
The EPA has released plans for their e-Manifest webinars - EPA Headquarters’ e-Manifest Team will be providing a series of educational webinars in preparation for the June 30, 2018 launch of e-Manifest:
Please visit the EPA site for more information on these webinars:
Archive Links to these EPA Webinars:
LISTEN TO PREVIOUSLY RECORDED WEBINARS ON-DEMAND:
REGISTER FOR UPCOMING WEBINARS:
For those of you that joined our webinars during June, we thank you for your participation.
You are invited to join us for our e-Manifest follow-up webinars in July. Space is limited so please register now to save your seat!
- July 13, 2018, at 10 am EST
- July 27, 2018, at 10 am EST
The EPA has released a series of e-Manifest Fact Sheets. These Fact Sheets provide information on e-Manifest and how it will affect all involved.
- e-Manifest Brokers Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 276 K)
- e-Manifest General Public Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 231 K)
- e-Manifest Generators Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 202 K)
- e-Manifest Receiving Facilities Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 204 K)
- e-Manifest Site Managers Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 204 K)
- e-Manifest State Program Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 269 K)
- e-Manifest Transporters Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 207 K)
- e-Manifest TSDF Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 228 K)
- EPA e-Manifest site: https://www.epa.gov/e-manifest
- EPA e-Manifest Fact Sheets: www.epa.gov/e-manifest/fact-sheets-e-manifest-stakeholders
- EPA e-Manifest Registration Information: https://www.epa.gov/e-manifest/e-manifest-user-registration#who_register
- EPA RCRAInfo Registration: https://rcrainfo.epa.gov/rcrainfoprod/action/secured/login
- EPA Frequently Asked Questions & Learning Zen: https://rcrainfoindustry.learningzen.com/PremiumServices/login/PortalRegistration.aspx
- EPA e-Manifest Helpdesk:
Tradebe's e-Manifest Team is here to assist with any questions or concerns you have. Please email us at: email@example.com.
Tradebe e-Manifest Email Campaign Archive:
- 07/11/2018 - Tradebe e-Manifest Transporter Agreement Notification
- 06/30/2018 - Tradebe e-Manifest Launches Today!
- 06/14/2018 - Tradebe e-Manifest Fee Notification
- 06/12/2018 - Tradebe e-Manifest UPDATE
- 06/07/2018 - Tradebe e-Manifest UPDATE
- 05/14/2018 - Tradebe e-Manifest UPDATE
- 04/05/2018 - Tradebe e-Manifest Notification